Mexican Cookie Rings
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons multicolored sprinkles (jimmies) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg yolks and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy. Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Shape into 1 inch balls. Push your thumb through center of each ball and shape dough into a ring. Dip top of each ring in decorating candies. Place cookies onto the prepare baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the baking sheets and let cool on racks.
Mexican Wedding Cookies
1 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Stir in vanilla and water. Add the flour and almonds, mix until blended.
- Cover and chill for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Shape dough into balls or crescents. Place on an unprepared cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove from pan to cool on wire racks. When cookies are cool, roll in confectioners’ sugar. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.