1 pound confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons anise extract
4 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light with an electric mixer on high speed. Reduce speed and add the anise extract and confectioners’ sugar.
- Continue beating at medium speed until well combined. Sift together the flour and baking powder; stir into the egg mixture, dough will be quite stiff.
- Roll out dough to 3/8 inch thickness. Imprint with a springerle board and cut apart. Place cookies onto a cookie sheet and let rest uncovered overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake cookies for 7 to 10 minutes.
Cinnamon Star Recipe
250g ground almonds
3 egg whites
250g powdered sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold in powdered sugar until mass is consistent.
- Put 4 tablespoons of egg white mixture apart for topping.
- Mix ground almondas and cinnamon. Add egg white mixture to ground almonds until dough is thick and juicy, but not liquid.
- Sprinkle your work surface with sugar and roll out the dough to about 0,5 cm thick.
- Cover your baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut out stars with your cookie cutter and carefully place onto backing tray.
- Now use the reserved egg white mixture and brush the cinnamon stars with the topping.
- Bake with 150°C until slightly golden. Be careful not to burn your cinnamon stars, as the topping should remain white.
- Makes two baking trays.