Russian Tea Cakes
Pep Time 60 min
Total Time 1 hr 15 min
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Mix butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla in large bowl. Stir in flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool slightly on wire rack.
- Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar; cool on wire rack. Roll in powdered sugar again.
Dark Chocolate Walnut Fudge
Hands-On Time 15 min
Total Time 4 hrs 15 min
1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups walnuts or pecans, chopped
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with a strip of wax or parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides.
- In a double boiler or a medium heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of barely simmering water, heat the chocolate, condensed milk, butter, and salt, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan and chill, uncovered, until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 3 days.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the fudge.
- Using the parchment overhang, lift the fudge out of the pan.
- Cut into 64 1-inch squares. Serve chilled.
- Storage suggestion: Keep the fudge refrigerated, in an airtight container, for 2 weeks.