- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup 50% to 70% vegetable oil spread
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar*
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup full-flavor molasses
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, combine butter and vegetable oil spread; beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Beat until well mixed, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in molasses and egg. (Mixture will look curdled.) Add all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour, beating just until combined. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill the dough for 2 to 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough, half at a time, to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 2- to 3-inch gingerbread person cookie cutter, cut out shapes; reroll scraps as necessary. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 4 to 6 minutes or until edges are firm and centers are set. Cool on cookie sheets on wire racks for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Makes 36 (3-inch) cookies.
Total Time:20 min
- 1/2 pound frozen shelled edamame (green soy beans), about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons), juiced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 3/4 teaspooon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf
- Boil the beans in salted water for 4 to 5 minutes, or microwave, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a food processor, puree the edamame, tahini, water, lemon zest and juice, garlic, salt, cumin, and coriander until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and mix until absorbed.
- Transfer to a small bowl, stir in the parsley and drizzle with remaining oil. Serve with the suggested vegetables, or refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day.