Angel Berry Trifle
Prep time 30 mins
Total time 30 mins
1 prepared angel food cake, cut into cubes
1 pkg sugar free vanilla pudding (1 oz or 30 g)
1½ cups cold milk
6 oz cream cheese
1 cup vanilla yogurt
½ cup sour cream
1 container whipped topping, such as cool whip (about 12 oz)
2 cups chopped strawberries
2 cups raspberries
2 cups blackberries
- In your mixer whisk the milk and pudding mix together for a couple minutes or until firm. Pour into another bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer add yogurt, cream cheese and sour cream and beat until smooth. Fold in pudding and 1 cup of the whipped topping.
- Place a third of the angel food cake cubes in a 4 quart trifle bowl.
- Top with a third of the pudding mixture, a third of the berries and half of the remaining whipped topping. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining cake, pudding and berries. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
4 x 85g packets strawberry jelly crystals
2 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 x 800g light fruit cake, cut into 3cm cubes
2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
2 cups Pauls Double Thick French Vanilla custard
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
125g fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced
300ml thickened cream
1 teaspoon icing sugar mixture, sifted
50g white chocolate, grated fresh raspberries and hulled, quartered strawberries, to decorate
- Place jelly crystals in a heatproof bowl. Add boiling water. Stir to dissolve crystals. Stir in 400ml cold water. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until just starting to set (it should have a thick, syrupy consistency).
- Arrange cake in a 13 cup-capacity serving bowl. Drizzle with brandy, if using. Spoon half the jelly over top. Top with custard. Sprinkle with raspberries and strawberries. Spoon remaining jelly over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream and sugar in a bowl until soft peaks form. Fold through chocolate. Spoon mixture over trifle. Top with raspberries and strawberry quarters. Serve. You could use leftover fruit cake or pudding in this trifle. Pauls Double Thick custard is twice as thick as pouring custard, and ideal for the whole family. Check out the handy resealable pack for recipe suggestions. You could replace brandy with orange juice. Top trifle with grated chocolate.
Candy Cane Brownie Trifle
1 9×13 inch pan of baked brownies
6 ounces (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter
1 and 1/4 cup half and half or cream
3 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 cup crushed candy canes (about 12 candy canes)
- Start by making the brownies. A box mix is fine. Make sure not to over bake them. Remove brownies from the oven and cool completely (if you are in a hurry stick them in the freezer). Cut brownies into bite-size chunks and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons of butter. Cook and stir over low heat until melted.
- Stir in 1 and 1/4 cups half and half or cream, 3/4 cup sugar, and corn syrup. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Boil over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes (set a timer!) or until sauce is reduced to about 2 1/3 cups. Remove from heat. Let cool for a minute or two, until it stops bubbling.
Stir in 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Cool to room temperature; mixture thickens as it cools. (Freezer or fridge also helps here).
- For the whipped cream, in a chilled mixing bowl combine 2 cups cream, powdered sugar, and 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract. Beat with the chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
In 16 small dessert cups, alternately layer brownie chunks, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and crushed candy canes, ending with whipped cream and candy canes. Serve immediately.
- If you want to do this all in one trifle bowl, place 1/3 of the brownie chunks in a 3-quart bowl or trifle dish. Drizzle with 1/4 of the chocolate sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the candy canes. Top with 1/3 of the whipped cream. Repeat layers twice more. Drizzle with remaining chocolate sauce; sprinkle with remaining candy canes. Serve immediately.