The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies
Prep 20 m
Cook 8 m
Ready In 3 h
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
3-Ingredient Sugar Cookies
Total Time: 0:22
1 stick salted butter, plus 2 tbsp.
1/3 c. sugar
1 c. flour
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Use an electric mixer to cream the sugar and butter, whipping the two until the butter is almost white and the mixture is light and fluffy, almost like a slightly gritty frosting.
- Stir in the flour.
- Form the cookies into 1-inch balls, placing them about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Flatten them into a disc shape if you’re topping with sprinkles before baking.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are lightly golden.
Basic Sugar Cookies
Total Time: 0:40
2¾ c. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. kosher salt
1 c. unsalted butter
¾ c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg and then the vanilla.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Shape the dough into 4 disks and roll each between 2 sheets of wax paper to 1/8 inch thick. Chill until firm, 30 minutes in the refrigerator or 15 minutes in the freezer.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Using floured cookie cutters, cut out cookies.
- Place on the prepared sheets. Reroll, chill, and cut the scraps.
- Bake, rotating the positions of the pans halfway through, until the cookies are lightly golden brown around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.