Christmas Vanilla Roll Cake
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup (100 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (30 grams) cake flour, sifted
- 3 tablespoons (30 grams) cornstarch
- ¼ cup red & green Wilton batter bits (found at WalMart)
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups (360 grams) powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons red and green sprinkles
- Heat the oven to 450°F. Line a 17X12-inch jelly pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl add the 2 eggs, 3 egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar. With the paddle attachment on, beat on medium to hight speed 3-5 minutes until pale in color and thickened. Add the vanilla extract and beat few more seconds.
- Sift the flour and the cornstarch over the egg yolks mixture and with a spatula gently fold it in. Fold in the batter bits as well.
- In a separate grease free bowl, add the 2 egg whites and 1 tablespoon of sugar. With a whisk, whip until firm peaks form. With the spatula, fold the whipped egg whites into the egg yolks mixture.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan, spread it evenly and bake for 6-7 minutes until golden brown and, when touched, it springs back.
- As soon as you remove the cake from the oven sprinkle with powder sugar and then invert the cake onto a clean dish towel. Remove the parchment paper, sprinkle with more powder sugar, and roll up the cake with the towel. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Homemade Christmas Cake Roll
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 8 oz of whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- 1 pkg of instant vanilla pudding
- Grease a 15x10x1″ jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper. Grease and flour the paper.
- Combine the cake mix, eggs, yogurt and vegetable oil and beat until well blended.
- Spread the batter into the pan (there will be some batter left over). Tap the pan gently on a flat surface to remove any trapped air bubbles.
- Bake for 15 minutes (at the recommended temperature on the box cake) or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Carefully flip the cake from the pan onto prepared parchment paper. Remove pan and parchment paper used during baking.
- Starting at a short end, roll up the cake with the parchment paper and towel inside. Place on a wire rack to cool for 25-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and add vanilla (and red food coloring if desired).
- Unroll cake, removing paper and towel (cracks and breaks should fit back together when you re-roll).
- Spread the butter cream icing on the cake and roll back up. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes
- Spread topping mixture all over roll and sprinkle with candy decorations.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.