Christmas Layer Dip
2 avocados, chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
200ml tub light sour cream
3/4 cup bottled mild salsa
1/4 cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
Salt-reduced corn chips, to serve
- Place avocado in a bowl. Mash until smooth. Stir in lime juice and coriander.
- Place avocado mixture in the base of a 4 cup-capacity glass bowl. Top with sour cream, followed by salsa and cheese. Serve with corn chips.
Meat Loaf with Creamy Onion Gravy
Active: 45 MIN Total Time: 1 HR 30 MIN
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Tabasco
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 pounds ground beef chuck
1 pound ground pork
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Creamy Onion Gravy
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a very large bowl and let cool. Add the panko, eggs, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper and stir to form a paste. Using your hands, work in the ground meats and cheese until combined.
- Line a large roasting pan with parchment paper. Firmly pat the meat mixture into 2 loaves, about 10 inches long. Arrange the loaves 3 inches apart on the parchment and roast in the lower third of the oven for about 1 hour, until lightly browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the loaves registers 150°. Let the meat loaves rest for 15 minutes, then cut into thick slices and serve with the Creamy Onion Gravy.
Cocktail Meatballs I
Prep 25 m
Cook 40 m
Ready In 1 h 10 m
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup shortening
12 fluid ounces tomato-based chili sauce
1 1/4 cups grape jelly
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, milk, egg, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and ground black pepper. Mix together, and shape into meatballs.
In a large skillet, heat shortening over medium heat. Add meatballs, and cook until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels.
Add chili sauce and jelly to skillet; heat, stirring, until jelly is melted. Return meatballs to skillet, and stir until coated. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.