1 medium zucchini
4 white mushrooms
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
16 large eggs
2 tsp. salt
¾ tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. chives
½ c. Gruyere or fontina cheese
Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- Lightly spray two 24-mini-muffin tins with vegetable-oil spray. Slice zucchini into 1/8-inch rounds. Slice mushrooms lengthwise into 1/8-inch pieces. Core and seed red and yellow bell peppers. Chop into 1/8-inch dice, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper, and chives, and set aside. Arrange cut zucchini, mushrooms, and peppers in each muffin tin. Ladle egg mixture into each tin, just even with the rim, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Transfer to oven, and bake until frittatas are set, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve warm, or reheat briefly at 325 degrees.
Prep time: 50 mins plus soaking overnight
Cooking time: 20 mins
For the mincemeat:
50g (1¾ oz) each of sultanas, raisins and currants
1 Bramley apple, cored and coarsely grated
50g (1¾ oz) dark muscovado sugar
50g (1¾ oz) luxury mixed candied peel, finely chopped
25g (1oz) glacé cherries, roughly chopped
Grated zest of 1 orange
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
½ tbsp mixed spice
25g (1oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
60ml (2½ fl oz) brandy
For the pastry:
75g (2¾ oz) icing sugar
75g (2¾ oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 medium egg yolks
200g (7oz) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
Pinch of salt
Caster sugar, for dusting
- At least one day ahead, mix together all the mincemeat ingredients, cover and set aside.
- To make the pastry, mix sugar, butter and egg yolks in a food processor until smooth. Mix in 2tbsp cold water, then blend in the flour and salt and knead into a ball on a floured surface. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 15 mins.
- Preheat oven to 190C, gas 5). Roll pastry out on to a floured surface. Cut out 12 discs, using a 7cm fluted cutter, and line a 12-hole tin. Combine pastry trimmings into a ball, cover and chill.
- Stir the mincemeat, then fill each case with 1tsp mincemeat. Roll out remaining pastry and use a star-shaped cookie cutter to make tops for the pies. Place one on each pie, brush with milk, dust with sugar and bake for 20 mins. Transfer on to wire racks and, once cool, store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.