Buche de Noel
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 egg whites
1/4 cup white sugar
confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a 10×15 inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whip cream, 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until thick and stiff. Refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until thick and pale. Blend in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and salt. In large glass bowl, using clean beaters, whip egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, and beat until whites form stiff peaks. Immediately fold the yolk mixture into the whites. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Dust a clean dishtowel with confectioners’ sugar. Run a knife around the edge of the pan, and turn the warm cake out onto the towel. Remove and discard parchment paper. Starting at the short edge of the cake, roll the cake up with the towel. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Unroll the cake, and spread the filling to within 1 inch of the edge. Roll the cake up with the filling inside. Place seam side down onto a serving plate, and refrigerate until serving. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
12 oz. white chocolate, melted
1 c. sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tbsp. Red nonpareils
1/2 tbsp. green nonpareils
- In a large bowl, mix together melted white chocolate and sweetened condensed milk. Add nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger and stir until combined. Stir in almost all nonpareils (leave some to sprinkle on top) until combined.
- Using a spatula, transfer fudge into a parchment-lined glass baking dish and smooth over top. Sprinkle with remaining nonpareils and let sit until firm. (Transfer to the fridge to speed up the process.) Cut into squares and enjoy.