Candy Cane Cookies
Prep Time 40 Min
Total Time 6 Hr 0 Min
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red food color
2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies
2 tablespoons sugar
- Stir together 1 cup sugar, the butter, milk, vanilla, peppermint extract and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Divide dough in half. Stir food color into 1 half. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Stir together peppermint candy and 2 tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- For each candy cane, shape 1 rounded teaspoon dough from each half into 4-inch rope by rolling back and forth on floured surface.
- Place 1 red and white rope side by side; press together lightly and twist.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet; curve top of cookie down to form handle of cane.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until set and very light brown. Immediately sprinkle candy mixture over cookies.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies
Hands-On Time 30 min
Total Time 1 hr
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups white chocolate chips
1 cup salted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350° F with the racks in the upper and lower thirds. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugars, and corn syrup on medium-high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. One at a time, add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and beat just until combined.Reduce the mixer speed to low, gradually add the flour mixture, and mix just until combined (do not overmix).
- Mix in the chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
- Drop level tablespoonfuls of the dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies until golden, rotating the pans halfway through, 9 to 11 minutes; cool slightly on the pans, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Storage suggestion: Keep the cookies at room temperature, between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container, for up to 5 days.