Hosting a cookie exchange is an easy (and delicious) way to gather friends and family during the holiday season—and walk away with enough cookies to last you through Christmas! Here are our expert tips to make your next cookie swap the best one ever!
Classic Sugar Cookies (Cookie Exchange Quantity)
Prep Time 2 hr 0 min
Total Time 4 hr 30 min
3 cups powdered sugar
2 cups butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
5 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon almond extract
Food colors, as desired
Betty Crocker™ decorating gel (in 0.68-oz tubes), colored sugar and/or decors, if desired
Betty Crocker™ decorating icing (in 4.25-oz tubes), if desired
Flaked coconut, if desired
- In large bowl, beat 3 cups powdered sugar, the butter, vanilla, 1 teaspoon almond extract and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll each half 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes with 3-inch cookie cutters. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, beat all glaze ingredients except food colors on low speed until smooth. Divide among several small bowls.
- Stir desired food color, one drop at a time, into each until desired color. Decorate cookies with glaze and other decorations as desired.
Christmas Ball Cookies
Prep 50 min
Total Tile 1Hr 50Min
1 1/4 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
Red, green and white sanding sugar
1 tablespoon milk
- In large bowl, beat 1 cup of the butter, 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and the salt with electric mixer on medium speed about2 minutes or until creamy. Beat in 1/4 teaspoon of the almond extract. On low speed, beat in flour just until combined. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper. Shape dough into 48 (3/4-inch) balls. Roll 16 balls in each color of sanding sugar, coating completely. On cookie sheets, place balls 1 inch apart.
- Bake 15 minutes or until set and bottoms are light golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, beat remaining 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon almond extract and the milk with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. For each sandwich cookie, spread about 1/2 teaspoon filling on bottom of 1 cookie; top with second cookie, bottom side down, to form ball.