2 2/3 cups finely ground almonds
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 cup egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons lemon juice
Add all ingredients to list
- Stir together the almonds, cinnamon, and lemon zest until combined.
- Beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Slowly sift in the confectioner’s sugar, continuing to beat until the mixture is stiff. Set aside 1/3 cup of the egg white mixture for the glaze. Fold in the almond mixture.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C). Line the cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a surface that has been sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar. Using a 2 1/2-inch star cookie cutter, cut out the cookies and place them on the cookie sheets.
- To make the glaze, add the lemon juice to the reserved egg white mixture, stirring until smooth. Brush the tops of the cookies lightly with the glaze. (If the glaze starts to thicken, add a few more drops of lemon juice.)
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. When done, they will be light brown and soft in the center. Remove and cool on wire racks.
Total Time:40 min
2 3/4 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped, roasted nuts, optional
Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter, half-and-half, and corn syrup.
Over medium heat, stir with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved and chocolate is melted. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove the cover and attach a candy thermometer to the pot.
Cook until the thermometer reads 234 degrees F. Remove from the heat and add the remaining butter. Do not stir. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes or until it drops to 130 degrees F. Add vanilla and nuts, if desired, and mix until well-blended and the shiny texture becomes matte. Pour into the prepared pan. Let sit in cool dry area until firm. Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.