Chocolate Christmas cookies
250g butter, softened
3/4 cup (155g) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
2 cups (300g) plain flour
1/3 cup (35g) Dutch cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
12 small peppermint candy canes, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups (230g) icing sugar mixture
1/4 cup (30g) Dutch cocoa powder
1/4 cup (60ml) boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and stir to combine.
- Roll tablespoonsful of mixture into balls and place on the lined trays, allowing room for spreading. Use the palm of your hand to gently flatten.
- Bake in preheated oven, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 15 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and set aside on trays to cool completely. Transfer biscuits on a wire rack over an oven tray.
- To make the chocolate icing, combine the icing sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl.
- Add the water and stir to a slightly runny paste. Spread icing over each biscuit and sprinkle with chopped candy canes.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to set.